Sunday 7 October 2012

Caterham panning shot - Jeremy Webb, Rockingham, 7th October 2012

Went to Rockingham Speedway today and watched a load of Caterham races and a couple of VW Golf ones too.

This was taken on the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM mounted on a 7D. I dropped the shutter speed to 1/80 second and panned as smoothly as I could to keep the car sharp but blur the background.  (A few years ago I went to a track day and used a fast shutter speed - all the cars looked parked!)

I set the stabiliser to mode 2 which means it will offer stabilisation in one direction, but won't interfere with the panning.

I had more 'keepers' when I upped the shutter speed to 1/125, but I like the amount of blur I got at 1/80.

Jeremy Webb, Rockingham, 7th October 2012:


Canon EOS 7D, f/16 @ 300 mm, 1/80, ISO 100, No Flash

No comments:

Post a Comment